Smart Energy Tips to Help Save MoneyNov 08, 2020 01:43PM ● By Annette Briggs
It’s time to be energy wise and save money! Dominion Energy has provided some very helpful energy tips and guidelines to help homeowners and consumers boost energy performance while cutting cost.
Start your journey to energy savings by following these tips:
- Set the thermostat at 68 degrees or lower in the winter and 78 degrees or higher in the summer. Each degree higher or lower can significantly increase heating costs in winter and cooling costs in summer.
- Install a smart or programmable thermostat for added convenience. This will allow one to automatically raise or lower the temperature settings when sleeping or away from home. It’s very important to make sure the thermostat is compatible with the heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system.
- Check air filters monthly and change when dirty. Leave interior doors open and don’t close vents to allow the HVAC system to maintain adequate air flow.
- Periodically check the ductwork for leaks or tears. Repair fallen or crushed ductwork and use mastic (a plaster-like substance found at one’s local hardware store) to seal leaks.
- Service the central heating and cooling system annually by a professional. This can extend the life of the system while maintaining optimum efficiency.
- If needed, upgrade the attic insulation to a minimum of R-38 (12 to 14 inches), which can help save on heating and cooling costs.
- Caulk, seal and weather-strip around all seams, cracks and openings to protect against air drafts. Pay special attention to windows and exterior doors.
- Set the water heater temperature to 120 degrees, and visually inspect the unit for leaks periodically.
- Replace standard incandescent lightbulbs with Energy Star LEDs (light-emitting diodes), which are 90 percent more efficient than incandescent bulbs.
- Unplug appliances, lights, TVs, computers, etc., when not in use or consider installing advanced power strips.
For more information, call 877-510-7234 or visit DominionEnergySC.com/energywise.